The data track ensures that cities can access and use data to describe their baseline on SDG achievement and inform local action. City level statistical data, spatial data and perception data will be collected and analyzed to:
- Report on the performance of the city such as through Voluntary Local Review,
- Plan local transformative initiatives, and
- Monitor progress.
Participating cities will be provided with digital data tools in line with Global Urban Monitoring Framework.
The strategic planning track ensures that city data merges with community and stakeholder participation to generate inclusive, spatially represented strategic plans for 2030. Participating cities will be provided with guidance based on an existing range of strategic planning tools.
In line with the new urban agenda, this track aims to ensure adequate local systems and institutional capacities in areas of governance; integrated urban and territorial planning and design; effective revenue and finance; and effective, equitable urban basic services. participating cities will be provided with digital diagnostic tools and training materials and will be connected in learning communities with cities with similar capacity development priorities.
INVESTMENT IN IMPACT
This track supports the financing of high impact projects in cities through the Cities Investment Facility, comprising of:
- City Investment Portal - a digital platform through which project promoters and investors can interface. As projects advance their bankability and develop pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, the portal is updated to reflect the stage of the project;
- City Investment Advisory - an advisory service on project preparation, financial design, blended finance, risk mitigation and optimizing SDG impact; it also provides early-stage investor linkages, and
- City Investment Vehicles that provide initial investment and necessary advisory to late stage development projects with the goal of bringing them to financial close.
SDG CITIES CERTIFICATION
Participating cities are awarded different levels of United Nations certification for their exceptional efforts to accelerate their progress toward meeting global Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
SDG Cities silver certification is awarded upon commitment to meet SDGs and completion of a baseline assessment to inform further action
SDG Cities gold certification is awarded upon evidence of a public plan outlining how SDG targets will be achieved
SDG Cities platinum certification is awarded upon evidence strengthened local institutional capacity to deliver the SDGs
SDG Cities diamond certification is awarded upon measurable human impact, or significant investment and progress towards implementing projects and actions with high impacts on SDG indicators, in line with the city’s SDG priorities