Collaborative Action to unleash the potential of cities to accelerate sustainable development and improve quality of life for all
The UN-Habitat Assembly is the world’s highest level decision-making body on urbanization. All 193 member states of the UN are members. The Assembly is expected to make decisions and pass resolutions that will frame the global urbanization agenda, look at major trends, norms and standards related to human settlements and sustainable urbanization and advise on the implementation of the New Urban Agenda, the Sustainable Development Goals and other global agendas. The Assembly will meet every four years.
Find our latest stories here
About Sustainable Development Goals Cities
SDG Cities is a global initiative that unleashes the potential of cities to accelerate sustainable development and improve wellbeing for all. It aims to respond to and generate demand amongst cities to pursue the achievement of SDGs during the Decade of Action (2020-30), and to recognize their efforts through a prestigious SDG Cities Certification.
The data track ensures that cities can access and use data to describe their baseline on SDG achievement and inform local action. City level statistical data, spatial data and perception data will be collected and analyzed to:
- Report on the performance of the city such as through Voluntary Local Review,
- Plan local transformative initiatives, and
- Monitor progress.
Participating cities will be provided with digital data tools in line with Global Urban Monitoring Framework.
The strategic planning track ensures that city data merges with community and stakeholder participation to generate inclusive, spatially represented strategic plans for 2030. Participating cities will be provided with guidance based on an existing range of strategic planning tools.
In line with the new urban agenda, this track aims to ensure adequate local systems and institutional capacities in areas of governance; integrated urban and territorial planning and design; effective revenue and finance; and effective, equitable urban basic services. participating cities will be provided with digital diagnostic tools and training materials and will be connected in learning communities with cities with similar capacity development priorities.
INVESTMENT IN IMPACT
This track supports the financing of high impact projects in cities through the Cities Investment Facility, comprising of:
- City Investment Portal - a digital platform through which project promoters and investors can interface. As projects advance their bankability and develop pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, the portal is updated to reflect the stage of the project;
- City Investment Advisory - an advisory service on project preparation, financial design, blended finance, risk mitigation and optimizing SDG impact; it also provides early-stage investor linkages, and
- City Investment Vehicles that provide initial investment and necessary advisory to late stage development projects with the goal of bringing them to financial close.
Global network of partners
Want to get in touch? We love to hear from you.